Production Process
A Creative Production Process is unique to each individual artist.
Jonathan from AJ & Smart gave us a guide to Design Thinking used in major companies when producing a product. In the "What is Design Thinking? An Overview" video, the Five Steps included were:
Empathize. Define. Ideate. Prototype. Test.
While this is a very innovative approach , this can still be grouped in a similar way to film making. In the "Film Production Stages" video, Jon-Michael Booth from Five Minute Film School, discussed the process of making a film.
Pre-Production. Production. Post Production.
In my opinion, the terms used in the Filmmaking process, give a general overview of any process, creative or not. There is the Start, Middle and End. We can group the steps Jonathan gave us, in our Design thinking guide, under the stages that Jon-Michael discussed. We can group, Empathize, Define and Ideate under Preproduction. Prototype under Production and Test under Post Production.
What goes under the titles Preproduction, Production and Post Production, is entirely up to you and what you are trying to produce.
What my Creative Production Process looks like.
Preproduction.
In this stage I start off with an idea or I have got Inspiration from something. I tend to get inspiration from books, movies and things I do and I see while on an adventure, so I try to do exactly that. I read, watch movies and go out exploring. Once I have an idea, I take a picture, write or draw a quick sketch of what is giving me the idea(s). When I look back at my notes, the drawings or pictures, triggers a flood of old and new ideas to my memories. From this I choose my favorite concept and start planning what medium to use and how I can best execute what is in my head.
Production.
Once I have an idea and have chosen a suitable medium, I start creating. This step obviously looks different depending on which Creative medium I have chosen but definitely takes a very long time for me. While Jon-Michal calls this " the point of no return" I tend to repeat this step over and over until I succeed or eventually give up
Post Production.
In this stage I view and criticize my work. I am either proud of the outcome of the Production Stage, and I add the finishing touches to my piece and put it on display. i.e.. varnish the painting. post the video. Or I take notes and go back to the Production Step.
| Camera |
Comments
Post a Comment