Media Compression
Did you know about compression before? Did you understand it?
I have worked with various forms of pictures and videos so the overall idea of media compression is not new to me. Before this weeks task, I had a vague understanding of media compression. i Knew that things needed to be compressed to make it easier to down load or stream, but I did not really make the connection that a higher compression rate was the reason for a lower quality product. the "Difference in frames" video from the Typical gamer Moments channel, shows a great side by side comparison. Although I preferred the most high quality version of the video, it was quite interesting to see how much of a difference it would make. With the lower quality videos, i noticed the obvious loss of frames( with the lower frames per second videos) and loss of colour vibrancy and dynamic. it seemed almost less interesting to watch as the quality reduced. The video lost almost all sense of smoothness and became very choppy. As the video quality reduced , the videos became more like a fast slideshow of pictures.
| Compressing media |
Was there something new or interesting that you learned?
Before this task i knew that some information could be lost in the compression prosses. In regards to music, I thought it was very small information that I wouldn't even notice. From watching the "What You Lose When You Compress Music to MP3, M4A, WMA, etc." video from the Double A channel on YouTube, I learned that with audio, depending on the compression rate, the difference between the highest quality and a lower one was a lot more than I thought. It was interesting to find out that some of the singing from a song you are listening to, could potentially have been cut out to allow you to listen to it more efficiently. I also enjoyed learning about the terms and units of data from the "Computer Skills Course: Bits, Bytes, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes" video on the Dane Hartman YouTube channel. I knew a few of the terms but now I can really put into perspective how much storage and information is being held/used.
| Brain in a lightbulb. |
What questions do you have about the material covered ? What aspects do you find unclear?
The only question i have relates to the development of our technology. The "Computer Skills Course: Bits, Bytes, Kilobytes, Megabytes, Gigabytes, Terabytes" video on the Dane Hartman YouTube channel, also mentions the years that each amount of storage became accessible. My question is, how do Technologists from then and now create a 'better'. Surely when they made the first few they thought it was good, so how did they create todays version of technology that makes their older victory seem so small?
Check out my sources here:
https://youtu.be/2Ds7EcJ2Ia4
https://youtu.be/MmecPiKClHk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4P0LOofEFs
Comments
Post a Comment