Study Skills
I have never been great at “Studying”. Whether it be that I couldn’t stop myself from getting distracted or zoning out, I could never properly study and nothing really motivated me to sit staring at multiple sheets of black and white paper for hours on end . I somehow always ended up trying really hard to cram everything the night before a big test and of course, never felt like I was actually learning anything.
After trying multiple things like after school study and education centers and still not seeing any improvements I decided to do some research. I was able to pick up my grades after implementing some of these tips into my study routine.
The first thing I did was implement spaced repetition. Previously when I would study I would try to study way too much material in way too little time. This never worked. After breaking up the material in smaller sections, doing a piece a day I was very happy with my progress. I was able to remember more and test better when ever I studied with this technique.
The next thing I added to my routine was the Pomodoro technique .This helped me stay motivated as It was no longer me locked up in my room studying long hours but sessions broken up with breaks between. In my breaks I would stand up, leave my room and try doing something active, as a study published in the journal Current Biology, discovered exercising after a memory task helped people better retain the information and increased brain patterns associated with memory.
The Final thing I implemented in my study routine was the use of colour. An Article from LSN Education states that "Colour has great importance in enhancing memory performance and one’s visual sense in order to achieve a positive response towards learning. Therefore using colours to emphasize a particular feature or piece of work can increase the attention level of learners: it can also help reduce boredom and increase attention spans." This was true for my case. This small change had a big impact on my Studying abilities, as i didn't zone out as much and was able to relate things to colour when trying to recall all the information I studied.
Studying is not a one sized fits all thing. Trying different things and adding them to your routine is the best way to improve your abilities. These Studying Skills that I learned about during my research aided me in all my Academic achievements to date, so if you want to see a difference, make a change.
![]() |
| group of people studying. |

Comments
Post a Comment